May 26, 2007

I shall see you again

Thee stands by the seashore


A ship at my side spreads its white sails to the morning breeze

Afoot an odyssey into the blue ocean.

An object of beauty and strength,

Thee stands and watches

Until at length it is a speck of white cloud

Just where the sea and sky embrace

Then someone at my side says,

"There! It is gone!"

Gone where? Gone from my sight, that is all

It is still as large in mast and hull and spar

Just as magnificent as it was when it left my side,

It bears still the load of living weight to its destined harbor.

Her diminished size is in me, not in it

<And just at the moment when someone at my side says,

"There! It's gone!"

There are other eyes watching its coming

The voices ready to take up the glad shout,

"There it comes!"


Thee shall set sail one day

Over to the harbor

And proudly anchor beside that magnificent and strong ship.


Jo Cheryl Holcombe modified by Fiddes von Lochinvar-To one affectionable


No comments: