October 01, 2007

DivX Web Player Crushing Firefox

I am up to my head in this upgrade hype.

I found out the hard way that newer is NOT always beta. This supposed better upgrade of the web player to 1.3.1 came with serious bugs. (pun intended).

When you clicked the play button on a stage6 video the video proceeded to load but then just a few seconds later the divx web player would crash taking the browser with it. It didn't matter whether the browser was IE, Firefox or Safari.

All kinds of tricks like reinstalling, booting and reinstalling did not work. Other people even tried formatting , which I believe is a bit extreme and too much hustle for such a problem, but it did not produce 100% good results.

The support team on stage6 suggested upgrading to divx web player 1.4.0 beta version. Little headway there, without a surprise. It all seems like they are churning out half baked pies and just testing them one people who fill fall the 'upgrade to the beta one' trick

A roll back would do the fix. Since the bugged web player was a new version then rolling back to an older version would fix the problem.

The logic was superb only that trying to install divx web player 1.3.0 was proving futile since the installer would automatically just install 1.3.1 (could not find out why)

To be absolutely safe I completely removed the divx pack 6.6 so as to start afresh. 1.3.0 had its little issues so I went for a much earlier version.

Then I installed the divx pack 6.3 (matter of preference really, you could choose any on the list). The list of the older versions are found on this OldVersion site.

One final step as suggested by core8583

The aim is to wipe out the settings of the web plug-in in your register. This is to correct the unstable error checking programming.

NB:You are about to attempt a registry change. Any mistakes you make might cause serious OS malfunction. You edit the registry at your own risk. Read instructions carefully before proceeding.


On the left hand column, Click the + signs next to the following folders.

++ USERS
++ S1-5-21-448539723-1592454029-725345543-1003 (This exact number sequence may vary depending on your system, so look though theses until you find the correct following sequence.)
++ Software
++ DivXNetworks
++ DivXBrowserPlugin

In this folder you should see the following keys

alertMe REG_DWORD
autoSaveAllDownload REG_DWORD
createSubfolder REG_DWORD
deblockLevel REG_DWORD
.....
(so on)

Highlight them and delete them all. The player will reset them to default when it next plays.

When you next visit stage6 or similar site your videos will stream like they ought to.

8 comments:

diddy47 said...

pop,,, there goes the balloon. It worked for a while but sure enough it crashed taking the browser with it

Anonymous said...

yes, but crash rate is now down from around 70-80% to about 10-20 %. This might not 'the fix' but i need to watch some videos now

Sarah said...

thanks... found your blog on google and i must say it was a quick and easy fix for me. your a life-saver :)

Anonymous said...

I too found this on google and fixed it right up for me as well. Thanks a ton. C'mon Divx, get it together.

Anonymous said...

thnx dude .. this works just perfect

Mendoza said...

doesnt work for me, i downloaded the 6.3 version, then deleted all them files, but when i try to play a divx video it says i need the latest plugin.

but if i click to find it, it says none available, im so confused.

Adam Taras said...

This didn't work for me. Seems, that there are several problems, that let the DivX Webplayer crash. I found on another site a solution, that worked for me: Mozilla Support

You have to disable the proxy setting in the windows internet options. It's strange, because I didn't activate that setting at any time and never used a proxy. But since that one click, the DivX Webplayer works again in every Webbrowser.

Anonymous said...

Go to Control Panel --> Internet Options --> Connections --> LAN Settings --> Uncheck "use a proxy server for your LAN" and "Bypass proxy server for local addresses"

fixes the problem